Featured Product Videos
The new Wavedrum Global Edition represents the next—and most powerful—evolution in the Wavedrum family. It boasts the largest palette of cutting-edge sounds of any Wavedrum to date; with sought-after percussion sounds from around the world, a major boost in the quality of each sound, and dramatic improvements in usability.
In 2009, Korg unveiled Wavedrum WD-X, a revival of the original Wavedrum that debuted in 1994. The reimagined ‘09 Wavedrum had a stunning impact as a performance tool that brought new expressive power to musicians–from users of the original Wavedrum to forward-looking percussionists. Subsequent models included Wavedrum Oriental with its added Arabic sounds, Wavedrum Mini with its unique sensor clip, as well as limited edition color models, and the instrument's unbounded potential has continued to accelerate the spread of Wavedrum mania throughout the world.
Revolutionary synthesis technology
Percussion instruments that generate rich, dynamic sounds from the bare hand of the player are perhaps the most physical of all musical instruments. While an electronic musical instrument, the Wavedrum Global Edition is painstakingly designed to retain this level of physicality. The sound of the player's strike is sensed by separate pickups for the head and the rim, and used directly as the sound source that drives the DSP-powered algorithm and PCM sound engine. In combination with this, the pressure sensor in the head allows the Wavedrum Global Edition to detect and respond to subtle movements of the player's fingers or palm which can be used to strike, rub, or scratch the head, as well as use techniques such as open shots, slap shots, heel and toe, and mute. Tonal differences produced by using a stick, mallet, or brush, plus changes resulting from different striking locations are also faithfully reproduced, giving the musician a high degree of expressive power and a broad dynamic range that rivals that of an acoustic drum or percussion instrument. This means that percussionists can bring a substantial arsenal of sounds - to rival a stage full of traditional percussion instruments - anywhere without the sacrificing the real feel or sonic quality that they require for their performance.
To further Wavedrum Global Edition’s ability to provide the utmost expressiveness and response, Korg has worked to increase the accuracy of the pickup. This boosts the dynamic range of the lows and highs, and improves the response to soft sounds, allowing more sensitive playing.
Innovative technology combines DSP synthesis and PCM samples
The Wavedrum Global Edition contains 60 DSP algorithms, which enable a variety of synthesis methods––analog, additive, non-linear, physical modeling, etc. Working with these algorithms, you can create various instrument sounds, natural sounds, or purely synthetic sounds – in addition to the Wavedrum Global Edition’s own unique sounds. Certain DSP algorithms allow you to assign a different DSP method and PCM instrument to the head and to the rim. In other algorithms, the velocity and tone of the strike are used to control the PCM sound, delivering a playing experience rivaling that of an acoustic instrument. The PCM sound engine – the other important part of the Wavedrum Global Edition’s sound creation system – contains 400 PCM sounds: 200 for the head, and 200 for the rim. Combining the PCM sounds with the DSP algorithms delivers a natural response far beyond the reach of PCM only instruments.
- 2nd Generation Dynamic Percussion Synthesizer that provides unparalleled musical expression
- A sound engine that combines DSP-powered algorithms with PCM sounds to allow versatile and highly flexible performances
- A pressure sensor and multiple pickups capture the subtle nuances of your strikes on the head and rim, generating expressive power and new sounds
- Increased pickup precision provides improved dynamic range for low and high pitches, as well as enhanced response for soft sounds, making the instrument more sensitive
- Play different sounds from the head and rim, or apply pressure effects on the head to create performance techniques that are possible only on the Wavedrum
- 200 preset programs cover a vast range of sounds from classic percussion to unique and novel sounds.
- 200 user programs are available for storing customized sounds and settings
- A new input sensitivity parameter has been added, supporting a wide range of users from beginners to pros
- Fundamental sounds such as acoustic instruments have been enhanced
- Live Mode stores up to 12 settings (4 favorite programs x 3 Banks) for instant recal
- Compact and light-weight design; use as an individual instrument, or mixed in with a traditional drum kit or any performance/percussion rig
- 140 loop phrases of various genres allow Wavedrum users to jam along or practice to them
- AUX input allows monitoring or mixing of any audio source–CD, MP3, even a second Wavedrum