For podcasts, sound effects, and music recording applications, the Tascam DR-40X portable handheld recorder is capable of capturing up to four tracks of high-resolution audio with no external microphones required. Its onboard unidirectional condenser mics can be set for a wide or tight stereo image, and may be used simultaneously with the mic/line combo inputs. Equally adept as a handheld device or when used in stand- or camera-mounted setups, the DR-40X can handle anything from sampling sessions and interviews to podcasts and live concerts.
Flexible powering methods—batteries, USB bus power, or an AC adapter—make the DR-40X well suited to on-the-go recording, all-day video shoots, and computer-based audio production. Need to patch in external mics or an outboard mixer? The DR-40X's two balanced XLR-1/4" inputs accommodate mic- or line-level signals (even +4 dBu from professional consoles) and can supply phantom power if needed. Whether you use the built-in mics or an external source, selectable modes such as stereo safety track recording, peak reduction, limiting, and auto level give you options for achieving a clean, undistorted recording.
Adjustable Unidirectional Microphones
Easily pivot the capsules between two mic configurations to complement your sound source—use the A-B position (capsules facing outward) to produce a wide stereo image, or switch to the X-Y position (capsules facing inward) if you need a tighter stereo field with a strong center presence and fewer phase differences.
Dual XLR-1/4" Mic/Line Inputs with Phantom Power
Supports microSDXC Cards up to 128GB
3.5mm Line/Headphone Output
USB Microphone and Audio Interface Functionality
Powered via AA Batteries, USB, or AC Adapter
Ideal for Handheld or Tripod-Mounted Use
Stereo Safety Track Recording
Built-In Level Modes and Signal Processing Enhance Audio Quality
Mitigate wind noise and low-frequency rumble by selecting the low-cut filter, which can be set at 40, 80, or 120 Hz. You can even choose to apply a hall, room, studio, or plate reverb preset to the input or output signal. Upon playback, treble, mid, and bass frequencies may be boosted or reduced for custom output tone.
Selectable Recording Functions
Tone Generator for Synchronizing Files
Supports External Remote Control
- 128 x 64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- Quick-menu button for easy access to various functions
- 10 menu languages
- Delay compensation function eliminates time lags caused by differences in the distances of two sets of inputs from the sound source
- Overwrite function for punch-in recording with one level of undo
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- Adjustable playback speed from 0.5 to 2 times (in 0.1 increments) at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz
- MS decoding function allows proper stereo monitoring of a mid-side mic configuration
- Automatically creates a new file when the maximum file size is reached
- File divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback
- Resume function retains the last stop point even when the DR-40X is powered off/on
- Jump-back-and-play feature (1 to 10 seconds or 10/20/30 seconds)
- Up to 99 marks (locate points) per track
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- Chromatic tuner
- Built-in rubber feet reduce the transfer of vibrations from a desktop or table to the onboard microphones
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.